Sonoma History

Surrounding the plaza are 19th-century adobe buildings, which include the Mission San Francisco Solano and the Sonoma Barracks. Mission San Francisco Solano, the predecessor of the Pueblo of Sonoma, was established in 1823 by Father José Altimira of the Franciscan Order. The mission was the northernmost and last mission built in California.

Governor Figueroa named Lieutenant Vallejo as Military Commander of the Northern Frontier. Vallejo was instructed to establish a pueblo at the site of the old Mission and in 1835, with the assistance of William A. Richardson laid out the central plaza, streets and main avenue of the new Pueblo de Sonoma.

Sonoma remained under military control until Vallejo wrote to the Governor recommending that a civil government be organized. A town council was established in 1844. Soon thereafter, Sonoma was the site of the June 14, 1846, Bear Flag Revolt, which marked the end of Mexican rule.